Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Antonio Pessoa - dances with wolves

I've been getting to know Antonio Pessoa,the man and the artist,more and more since the day we were introduced to eachother ten years ago.
Before that I had been making systematic acquaintances with many artists from all over Europe and America.
Crazy as it seems all of them with no exception whatsoever were,if not victimized by most of the art dealers,at least they were living and working with very little or no control at all upon the situation,almost resigned to the fate of helplessly having to live under pressure and worst of all in some cases going periodically through nervous breakdowns due to the unfair treatment they obviously felt they didn't deserve.
I had seen it so very often and so many times that at a certain point I subconsciously started believing that it was at once one of those unmodifiable rules and roles of the art scene backstage.
My growing friendship with Antonio Pessoa throughout these years gave me the amazing and amusing privilege of actually witnessing some of the best-sellers real life episodes I've ever come across.Antonio Pessoa dealing with art dealers is a must for anyone who fancies high quality theater with a first rate casting,if you get my drift.
Fresh,smart looking,smiling and arrogant as they come ; looser looking,withdrawn and standoffish there they go.
No magic tricks,no use of hypnotic trances,no Commedia Dell'Arte required nor conflicting arguments on bad terms.Just an artist cool as cool can be,listening in respectful silence,while the wolves dance and bark.
For when they stop barking and dancing,next thing they do is waiting for an answer.
Antonio Pessoa breaks the silence and suddenly I hear him talking about the weather,the latest movie he has seen and the striking book he is reading at the moment.
I sit and struggle myself in order to remain quite while a burst of laughter is dangerously growing inside of me.
Nevertheless I'm polite enough to wait till they're gone,the door is closed and then I'm free.


Jacob Kotsky

No comments: